Saturday, February 6, 2010

Refocusing on Japan



Well as the title says I've been doing more Japanese stuff lately. I started watching anime again. Well, I've been watching Naruto for 2 months or so, I started watching anime with a schedule last week. Mondays are for Cowboy Bebop, Thursdays for Ghost in the Shell, and we'll see if I add anymore. I figure watching one a week instead of all at once will help me remember more of the series, plus it makes me feel like in the good old days when I used to wait each week for new anime episodes on adult swim.

I love adult swim but in my opinion they should focus a little more on anime instead of they're original programming. It's getting a little too weird for me. Shows like ATHF, Harvey Birdman, and Robot Chicken are great but then they're other stuff I'm not really into. I probably wouldn't even like Tim & Eric if Connor hadn't made me watch it. I remember we saw the 1st season together and I was like "wtf?". Eventually I started to like it but sometimes there are episodes that are just waaay too weird. C'mon adult swim! Step up the anime! I rarely ever see a bump for an anime show anymore, though I don't watch adult swim anymore because I only have basic cable now.

Yesterday I also started wondering if I might try and learn japanese. I'd always thought it'd be great to learn the language but I wasn't really thinking about the amount of work I'd have to commit to it. Well, I figured I waste my time so much already and don't do my homework I might as well do something productive in my time. Sure it's going to be work, but hopefully the fact that I'm actually interested in what I'm learning will help me keep on track. Anyway today I started reading up on some resources and places to learn it. I pirated Rosetta Stone but haven't used it yet, been using a couple of free internet resources first. Maybe I'll write about my progress and what resources I used in a future blog.

Right now I'm listening to Buck-Tick. Everyone says immersion in the chosen language is key. I also installed Windows7 today (illegally obviously). Seems pretty awesome so far, still trying to figure out the intricacies of windows explorer however. Unfortunately I forgot to backup my internet bookmarks when I reformatted my drive so I lost all of those :(

I also wanted to talk about QR codes, but ehh this blog is getting lengthy and I don't want to switch up topics. See ya for now

1 comment:

Connor said...

Nice job with the piracy John.... jeez.
The fact that you have rosetta stone now is pretty good though, that's supposedly reliable so... yeah. Yes listening to Buck-Tick will help, it's like how I listen to all the German music I have. And having interest in Japanese will also make it easier to learn, again with German I'm interested in it, so it is easy to learn.